Carry me Brixton
I was at Roisin's show in Brixton two nights ago and was once again overwhelmed by her stage presence and stamina - not to mention that amazing voice, which remains her strongest asset by far!
As all of you will have seen the stream on the official website by now I see little point in writing an extensive review. What could I possibly add?!
However, just in case anyone's interested I would like to share my highlights of the show:
(1) Overpowered: What a great choice to open the show with. The see through curtains create an intimate atmosphere and when Roisin and the stage are finally revealed it brings on the show's first climax.
(2) The pause between Overpowered and You Know Me Better: Roisin mentioning she was in the Brixton Academy a few years before, when Moloko performed their last show (released on DVD as 11000 Clicks). She seemed quite emotional, taking this short trip down memory lane.
(3) Through Time: One of the most beautiful songs Roisin's has ever written, taken from her album Ruby Blue. The song may well be about Mark Brydon:
Is it through memory’s rose tinted glass
I have come to ask
Or is it a love that was meant to last
Through time itself
(4) Movie Star (Kid Gloves remix): The original of this song has never been a favourite of mine, but Kid Gloves' beats lift it to a whole new level. They make the lyrics sound very dark indeed. Brilliant.
(5) Ramalama (Bang Bang): Could Roisin ever go wrong with this song? No! What Holiday is to Madonna, Ramalama (Bang Bang) is to Roisin. No show would be complete without it.
With the European tour coming to an end soon, I can't wait to see what Roisin has in store next. Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was on Saturday.
Thanks to Jo for the VIP access!
Picture courtesy of door 101